Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A new start...

Hello, everyone!

This blog will be my lame attempt at one of many New Year's resolutions. I will attempt to post as much as possible, but let's face it, life can get in the way sometimes, so my goal is once a week. So to start things off right, taking a look at the future usually involves a stereotypical glance at the past. Here's mine...


The year 2010 brought me more things than I can possibly remember. It seems like just yesterday, Mike and I were ringing in the new year with our (very) recently married friends, Evan and Lindsey. Yet, here we sit, a year older and (sort of) wiser. Little did I know as we sat drinking leftover champagne, eating crackers with cheese while watching the South Park marathon, and watching Ryan Seacrest attempt to do Dick Clark justice that 2010 would hold so many more changes that I ever imagined possible. Even as I sit here and think back for a few moments, it's hard to remember everything that has happened.


I guess I'll start with school. In 2010, I took a total of 36 hours, including 6 this summer. One was Star City News, which was my debut into television. During the five week session,  I was the first ever female sports reporter, along with reporting the weather and news, anchoring, and producing. It was an amazing experience.

First time doing weather.

With two of the other students after going live for weather.



Another major thing was that I finished up my term on the College of Journalism Student Advisory Board as treasurer.  We had our first ever "First Fridays" event at the Apothecary, where we showcased student work for the public. It was a pretty good turn-out, and we made a lot of cookies. :)

Silly photo for the SAB door.
Final meeting of 2009-2010 SAB.

Another big thing when it came to school was my final two semesters as an active member of Alpha Xi Delta. Those girls have made a bigger impact on my life than I could have dreamed when I joined over 3 years ago. I finished up my time there as Chapter Life Vice President. We had a really strong recruitment and I'm excited to see where the house is going next year.
The 2010 Executive Board

The Seniors

Outside of school, I held three amazing jobs. One was for the College of Journalism as a production manager. The next was with Li-Cor Biosciences doing marketing research and creating promotional materials. One of my projects was to assist in creating a promotional video to be played at conventions around the world. It's a little cheesy, but it was super fun to work on. After Li-Cor, I began working as a runner for a law firm in Lincoln. I am still there and am very excited about it.

Many of the biggest changes of 2010 happened all within the last few months. I took my LSAT in the summer and decided to apply to various law schools around the country. I had been waiting to hear back from my schools, until finally, during finals week, I received a call from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Law. I had been accepted! Two days later, I walked across the stage at the Bob Devaney Sports Center to receive my diploma.
With the diploma... It's official!
But the biggest and most life-changing event of all happened on October 2, 2010, at approximately 2:00 p.m. mountain time. My boyfriend Mike and I were visiting Denver to celebrate our two-year anniversary and to visit a few law schools. We took a few hours of relaxation by driving up Mount Evans. We ended up at a beautiful place called Summit Lake.
We walked over to a rock to be away from people for a little bit. Mike began to tell me how he'd been thinking about our relationship and how much I meant to him. He pulled a small, brown box out of his pocket, knelt down, and asked me to marry him. It was the most perfect proposal I could have hoped for. I, of course, said yes.
First picture as an engaged couple

My gorgeous ring

When I stop and think about it, 2010 will be pretty hard to beat. I was blessed with so many happy times with my family and friends. I am so grateful for everyone that I have in my life and I know that with them in my life, 2011 will be just as good or better.

So, here's to you, 2010. You will never be forgotten.



Allyson